Hey guys! Welcome back. I talk a lot about self care, but I never really talk about the kinds of self care. Someone recently reached out to me and asked me to talk about what I consider to be the types of self care. So I thought I would do that to. For some people the types vary, but these are the major ones in my opinion.
1. Physical self care. This includes eating right, sleeping, exercising, and taking care of your overall physical health. It is important to make sure you are taking care of your physical body. It goes through a lot everyday, so taking care of it is crucial. Physical self care will also help you when you are hurt or sick because your body will be healthy and will be able to recover faster.
2. Emotional self care. I view this as protecting your heart in a way. Taking care of yourself emotionally is really important. Knowing when to cut ties with negative people, ending a relationship with someone who doesn’t treat you right, and knowing when to step away are all ways of practicing emotional self care. Knowing what is important to you and what you value is crucial to being able to protect your emotions. It’s okay to take your feelings into consideration.
3. Intellectual and mental self care. Some people leave this out, but as a college student I choose to include it. Mental self-care is knowing that sometimes you need a break. You need to be able to step away from what you are working on and let your mind process everything. You can’t spend every moment of everyday working on things. You have to protect your mind and take care of it so you can continue to learn in the future and continue to be happy and healthy.
4. Social self-care. This means understanding that it’s okay to say no to spending time with people, but it also means challenging yourself to be social. It’s all about finding a balance and making time for the people in your life while knowing that it is okay to decide to stay home by yourself. It’s all about knowing what is best for you in the moment and understanding what you need. The people in your life will understand, and if they don’t, they probably shouldn’t be there.
5. Spiritual self-care. This is another one that people sometimes leave out. But I think it is really important. God promises to take care of us, and part of that is making sure we are taking time to practice spiritual self-care. This includes praying, reading the Bible, and spending time with others and sharing what you learn and experience from God. Spiritual self-care is huge for me because it brings me peace and comfort.
6. Professional self-care. This is a form of self-care that most people don’t think of. I consider this to be knowing what to do and when to do it. Don’t stress yourself out over every little detail of work. It will never be completely perfect. Know when it’s time to step away from a job. Know when it’s time to take a job. Know what is best for you in the professional world. Follow your heart and your mind will follow. Have faith in yourself and the rest will work itself out in time.
Thank you so much for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed this. Please like it if you did. Do you agree with my list? Let me know in the comments! Don’t forget to follow before you leave if you have not already and I hope to see you next time!
For blog coaching, don’t forget to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our VIP Facebook group for giveaways, BTS information, and more! Click here.