Hey guys! Welcome back. I cannot believe that it is finally here! Today, Love, Geeky Girl turns two. It’s so crazy to finally say. Two years ago I was sitting here and decided to start my blog. I am actually sitting in the exact place that I was sitting two years ago when I started writing my first post. I am feeling all kinds of things right now and I promise to get into them more a little later. But first, I wanted to do a blogging Q&A. I ask for questions sometimes on Instagram (@lovegeekygirl), and I decided to save the questions about my blog for a special Q&A. I decided today was the time for that. So here are my answers to some of the questions I have been asked about blogging.
How did you start your blog?
I started two years ago to commemorate the day. I always view this day as my second birthday. Four years ago I was going through a lot and I was struggling and depressed. On that day I almost took my life. Fast forward two years and I decided to commemorate my commitment to living by starting a blog. I didn’t know what I was going to write about or how long I would be writing. I just wanted a space where I could share my thoughts and how I felt and maybe someday someone would read it. And here we are. Two years later. I started my blog and it took me a while to want to share it. But I’m so glad I did.
Where did you come up with your blog name?
I honestly don’t remember that much. I originally started this blog as some kind of form of letters I guess. I wanted to write letters about things or to people. I was going to sign my letters “Love, Geeky Girl”, but that never stuck. But I kept the name because I really like it and I think it suits me. I don’t know where the “Geeky Girl” part came from other than the fact that I feel like two years ago that’s how I would have described myself.
Do you have another job?
Right now I am still in college, but when I am in school technically I do have a full time job. I work as a Resident Assistant and I absolutely love it. I also work part time at my campus bookstore. Once I graduate from college I have absolutely no idea what I will be doing. Right now the plan is to go to Cosmetology School (I’ve already been accepted), but we will see where God leads me.
Is your boyfriend supportive of your blog?
We honestly haven’t talked about it. I am pretty sure he knows about it, but we haven’t really talked about what he thinks of it. We only recently started dating and I know it seems crazy that I haven’t shared this with him and had the conversation, but I’m a very nervous person and I just want everyone to accept me. But I will definitely find out his thoughts and share it with you soon.
Do you have a blog and social media posting schedule?
I do! I use Google Calendar to keep everything in order and make sure I am posting when I need to. I post on my blog everyday, but in order to organize my content and make sure I know which day is which post, I do have a schedule. I try to plan things out the best I can because I need discipline and structure in order to keep going. Social media doesn’t really have a schedule, but I make sure to set aside time to work on it.
How do you plan your content?
I plan my content based on a lot of things. If I have a request I try to get that in as soon as possible. Otherwise it is mostly based on what I feel like writing. I am very passionate about giving my readers the very best content, so it’s important that I really love what I am writing. So I try to plan as much in advance as I can, but sometimes I change my mind when it’s time to sit down and write.
How important is Instagram to your blog?
I only recently learned how important it is. I have been blogging for two years and I haven’t been as active on Instagram as I should. I recently learned that Instagram is where most of my engagement comes from and I really need to interact more. So I have started doing live videos and sharing more over there. So definitely go follow. Instagram is incredibly important to my blog and I highly recommend it to any blogger.
How do you monetize your blog?
I monetized my blog by starting blog coaching. I am also working on resource guides to sell. I also have something super exciting coming up that I can’t quite share yet. But I sell products and services that help other people. It’s important to me that I am able to make money in an authentic way that is fulfilling to both me and the person purchasing it.
What do you find most challenging about blogging?
For me the most challenging this is growing community. It’s an incredibly tricky thing, but it’s also the most rewarding. Growing a community with other people takes time and trust. If you aren’t willing to invest in those two things, you may never get the community that you hope for. So I think that’s the most challenging part. It takes so much, but it also gives so much.
What advice do you have for new bloggers?
Don’t compare yourself to others. If you are just starting out, your blog is not going to look the same as someone who has been doing it for a while. It’s important to focus on your blog and growing. Instead of comparing yourself to other bloggers, reach out and ask for help. I have helped so many new bloggers because they reached out about coming up with content ideas or growing their audience. So just ask for help.
And those are the blogging questions I have received recently. If you have any other questions, leave them in the comments and I will answer them in my next Q&A. For now, I wanted to say thank you. From the bottom of my heart, this means so much to me. It is still crazy to think that I started this journey two years ago and I have worked on it every single day. I can’t remember a time when I wasn’t blogging.
Thank you for being a part of this and continuing to come back. Thank you for following and sharing. Thank you for joining me on social media. Thank you for inspiring me and encouraging me. You guys are the reason that I still get to do this and I get to turn it into more than just a hobby. I appreciate all the support and kindness I have received for the past two years. I could not do this without you, so thank you.
Whether you have been here since the beginning or you have only recently joined, thank you. You are each so important to me and I thank you. I seriously cannot thank you enough. It brings joy to my heart that I get to share this with you and celebrate this accomplishment. I am so grateful.
So what’s coming for my third year of blogging? Well let me share with you what my goals for this year are!
1. Start making significant income. I don’t think my blog will become my full-time job within the next year, but I would like to see some income considering all the work I am putting into it. Hopefully I can start seeing some steady income from the blog coaching and the resource guides.
2. Grow my email list. I recently started growing my email list and I want to really make it grow this next year. I think it could really help me and I look forward to seeing my subscribers list grow.
3. Engage the community. Building a community with my blog is something that is super important to me. So I really want to work on growing and engaging with my community this year.
4. Double my blog traffic. My blog traffic is not terrible, but I would like to see it grow even more. So this year I will be really working on my social media marketing strategy and getting it up to par.
5. Continue to build my social media following. Social media is such an important part of effective blogging, so I really want to build on that. I know this will help grow my blog traffic and help me engage more with my readers.
6. Cultivate my blog coaching business. I really want my blog coaching to take off this year. I am so passionate about helping others grow their blog and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that I have this gift.
7. Launch resource guides. I am finishing up my resource guides that I am working on now, and they will be launched soon. Hopefully I can create a few more this year to continue helping other bloggers.
8. Have more guest bloggers. I would love to feature other bloggers and their content on my blog. I think it’s a great way to network and help one another grow. Plus I just love giving my readers fresh, new content.
9. Grow my Facebook Community Group. If you have not already, I hope you will join my VIP Facebook group. I share updates, have discussions, and give exclusive information over there. The members of the group find out about things before anyone else. It’s also just a great way to connect with other people and have your own discussions. I think it would be really great if you would join.
10. Get to 1,000 followers. I really think we can do it. I have around 870 right now and I really want to get to 1,000 by the end of the Summer. I hope you will follow if you are not already and become a part of our community. It’s a great one to be a part of and I promise you will not be disappointed. If you are following, share with your friends.
Growing my community and business are the most important things to me when it comes to blogging this next year. I want to be a better blogger coming out of it. So if you have any suggestions, please leave them in the comments. I hope you will stick around with me on this journey and continue to inspire me everyday.
I want to thank you all again. Without you this wouldn’t be possible. I started this blog for me, but I keep going because of each one of you. I truly am so grateful for the amount of support I get from all of you. It truly blows my mind. You are all so amazing and I can’t say it enough. I have enjoyed this past year so much and I can’t wait to see what God has in store for this next year. Regardless of what it is, I hope to have each one of you and more by my side when June 14, 2020 rolls around.
So thank you again for being a part of this. You may read this and think there is no way I am talking to you, but I am. I am so thankful for each individual person who is following, subscribing, reading, sharing, liking, and commenting. It means the absolute world to me. Thank you all so much for allowing me to share this with you.
Thank you for sticking through this incredibly long blog post. If you made it to the end let me know in the comments. Also, let me know what your favorite thing about my blog has been this year. Let’s celebrate together! Also, don’t forget to follow or subscribe if you have not already and I hope to see you next time!
Join the Facebook Group here!
If you are interested in my blog coaching services, click here!
You can pre-order your resource guide here!